Thursday 26 July 2012

Neckerchief/Bandanna bib tutorial

Have you seen there sweet bibs you can get now that look like neckerchiefs?!  I think they are really cute and much more fun that an ordinary bib, it makes the bib part of the baby's outfit rather than just covering it up for the sake of dribble protection.
I was on the verge of buying some when I suddenly remembered that I can sew, and have half a brain #9the other half went out with the placenta!) and therefore could make some myself.
What's more I though I could share it with you so you can have a go at making one for your baby if you have one, or as a gift for a friend with a new addition.
It is dead easy to make one of these bibs, as I am sure you know by now I don't really do measuring, so haven't included any, all lengths are by rack of eye! (Or by what I figure will fit round a baby's neck.)

For this tutorial you need two types of fabric, I used a flannelette type cotton which I figured would be fairly absorbent, then a patterned jersey type fabric for the front.

Begin buy making a paper template for the shape you want, I loosely wrapped mine around my baby's neck to get an idea of the size and included enough room for hemming.


Pin the template to the fabric then cut around it.  


Next pin the flannelette to the jersey and cut around it as before so you have two triangles of the same shape and size.


Keeping the fabric pinned together sew the two pieces together using a straight stitch.  Leave about 1 cm for hemming.  


Make sure you leave a small gap of about 3cm to turn your bib the right way round.  I left one of my corners open.  



Next trim off the excess from the edges so they are nice and neat:


Then turn the bib the right way round through the small hole you left at one end:


It should look like this now:


Now to finish off tuck in the un-hemmed edges on your open corner like this:


Then simply sew a straight line over this edge (you could do a chain stitch by hand if you so felt inclined, I am a bit lazy though and want to get it done quickly, so it was just a straight stitch for me.)


Now you need to add some velcro.  Cut a piece about 3 cm long and pin one piece to either side of your bib:


Sew them with a straight stitch and you are done!


Hope you are all having a great week, I am writing this tutorial in my garden because we finally have some sun in the UK!













No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading people's comments on what I have written, but I am not in the business of debating, this blog is my space, so if you can't say something nice, the please, don't say anything at all. If you don't like what I have written then please don't read it.