Friday 14 May 2010

teaching today

Teaching today was hard work, I don't usually talk about work and stuff on this blog because it is supposed to be a craft based blog, but I just feel like sharing, you can find out a bit more about me for one thing.
Here is a sample of some of the things I have experienced today:

A bobbin of cotton trailed all around the table legs of the classroom,
I was called a b**ch behind my back,
Two boys having a punch up,
Was accused of picking on a boy,
A boy mocking another for his speech impediment,
A girl bullying another girl by not letting her join their group,
Being accused of calling a girl ugly,
Two pupils walking out of my classroom without permission,
Boys flicking PVA glue at each other,

I could go on but I think you get the picture, it was not a good day!
However I can cope with all this, this is the sort of thing I deal with on a daily basis anyway, what really upsets and concerns be is the attitudes that the pupils bring to school which are most probably learnt from home.

As a Christian (and a normal human being with morals) I was always taught to love my enemy and to turn the other cheek. I was taught that two wrongs do not make a right, I was taught that if someone does something nasty to you then you should tell a teacher so that they can sort it out.   The pupils I teach have not been taught this.  The pupil I teach have actively been told by their parents that if someone hits you, then you must hit them back.  That if someone is nasty to you then you should be nasty back.  It makes for a most unpleasant atmosphere of retaliation and spite.

Am I being unreasonable?  Please share your thought.

1 comment:

  1. No, you're NOT being unreasonable!! I could totally NOT be a teacher in this day and age (well, ever actually!). And I would also hate to be a child at school at the moment too! I have 3 children, one yr 9, one yr 8 and one yr6. If I found out my children behaved how they (and you)tell me that other children do, we would be livid. I totally agree, that it's down to the parents and what they learn at home.
    Kids today just aren't bought up to respect anyone, not even themselves, they seem to not have any pride. Do you know what I mean?
    Don't be disheartened, in todays world your doing a great job! :)
    Have a good, relaxing weekend....
    Donna

    ReplyDelete

I love reading people's comments on what I have written, but I am not in the business of debating, this blog is my space, so if you can't say something nice, the please, don't say anything at all. If you don't like what I have written then please don't read it.